Monday, May 07, 2012

Bowl-a-Thon Group Touts Raising Funds for 14-Year-Old’s Abortion

From: CNSNews.com

The National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF), who last month raised over $400,000 for abortions through its Bowl-a-Thon, touted that it provided money for a 14-year-old’s abortion as part of the group's “real stories of abortion access.”

On its website in a post entitled, “Getting an abortion means getting a second chance,” NNAF highlights the story of Darcy, a 14-year-old who terminated her pregnancy with the help of the group’s “George Tiller Memorial Fund.”

“I'm pretty smart for 14, I think,” Darcy writes. “I love biology, especially the stuff on animals. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a vet -- I definitely want to start my own practice so that I make enough money and when I have kids I can be home with them,” she said.

After finding out she was pregnant, the girl writes she did not want to tell her mother, “But in the state where I live, minors can't get an abortion without permission from a parent or a judge,” she said. “So I did end up telling her.”

Darcy said a clinic put her in touch with NNAF because the “abortion was going to cost more than our rent.”
“There’s no way that me and my mom could have come up with that much,” she said.

“Getting my abortion means I'm going to get a second chance. And I want to make it count.”

NNAF draws attention to Darcy as one of “the real stories of abortion access,” and how the group is fulfilling its mission “to make sure that all women and girls can get the abortions they seek.”

As CNSNews.com previously reported, NNAF sponsored its third annual “National Abortion Access Bowl-a-Thon” throughout the month of April, raising funds for “low-income and disadvantaged women who want an abortion and do not have enough money to pay for it.” As of Wednesday, the group has raised $468,318.

Darcy’s story is also featured in the organization’s spring 2010 newsletter that states she contacted the George Tiller Memorial Abortion Fund for help. “Y’all were just so nice,” the girl said in the newsletter. “I mean, you gave me like more than a thousand dollars. There’s no way that me and my mom could have come up with that much.”

The Tiller Fund raises money for abortions performed after 20 weeks in honor of the late-term abortionist, who was murdered in 2009.

Calls to the National Network of Abortion Funds were not returned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FARK IT